Dr. Edmund M.K. Lui
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Western Ontario
Dr Lui, PhD., is Associate Professor in the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario. He received his education and research training in Pharmacy, Pharmacology, and Toxicology from Dalhousie University and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. He has been appointed as Affiliate, Can Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health & Medicine, St-Boniface Hospital Research, AAFC. Winnipeg, Manitoba. 2015-2018. He served as the Scientific Director of the Ontario Ginseng Innovation and Research Consortium (OGIRC), which was established in 2008-2014 through a grant from the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation to focus on new technologies for ginseng agriculture and product development. He has been active in the educational aspects of complementary medicine in undergraduate medical and medical science curriculum and provides leadership in establishing the Integrative Health Network.
Dr. Lui’s research focuses on elucidating the mechanisms of action of herbal products to provide the pharmacological plausibility for their medicinal use. Research is targeted at herbal medicines for the treatment of cancer, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases. Chemical, biochemical, metabolomics and molecular techniques are used to examine the sites and mechanisms of action as well as the metabolism of selected products. These studies contribute to the evidence-based practice of herbal medicine as well as the development of pharmacological markers for the standardization of NHPs.
Dr. Lui serves as Chair of Standard Council of Canada Mirror Committee: ISO/TC 249 (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and member of two working groups dealing with quality and safety of raw herbs and manufactured/finished products. He also serves as the President of the Canadian Institute of Chinese Medicinal Research and the Founding Editor of the Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine. He is also member of the Advisory Board of the Consortium for Globalization of Chinese Medicine. He served on the Expert Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicine of the Therapeutic Product Programme of Health Canada (1997-2000) and has provided consultation to Health Canada concerning research in Traditional Chinese Medicines in Canada.
1. Jamie Garbett, Sarah A.F.Wison, Jesica, C. Ralston, Anna A. De Boer, Ed M.K. Lui, David C. Wright, David M. Mutch. North American ginseng influences adipocyte-macrophage crotalk regulation of inflammatory gene expression.J Ginseng Research (2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2015.07.001
2. Azike CG, Charpentier PA, Lui EM. Stimulation and Suppression of Innate Immune Function by American Ginseng Polysaccharides: Biological Relevance and Identification of Bioactives. Pharm Res. 2015. 32:876-897.
3. Raziye Samimi, M. Salarian, Ed Lui, Paul A. Charpentier, Encapsulation of acetyl ginsenoside Rb1 within monodisperse PLGA microspheres using microfluidic device, Ind.Eng.Chem.Res., (2014) dx.doi.org/10.1021/ie501118u.
4. Wang L, Yu X, Yang X, Yao Y, Lui EM, Ren G. Structural and anti-inflammatory characterization of a novel neutral polysaccharide from North American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius). Int J Biol Macromol. 2014 Nov 27. pii: S0141-8130(14)00747-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2014.10.062.
5. Mao Jiang, Juan M Murias, Tom Chrones, Stephen M Sims, Edmund Lui, Earl G Noble. 2014. American Ginseng Acutely Regulates Contractile Function of Rat Heart. Frontiers in Cardiovascular and Smooth Muscle Pharmacology. 5:43 Dx.doi.org/103389/fphar.2014.00043
6. Misagh Alipour, Abdel Omri, Edmund M K Lui, and Zacharias E. Suntres. 2013. Co-administration of aqueous ginseng extract and tobramycin stimulate the pro-inflammatory response and promote the killing of P. aeruginosa in lungs of infected rats. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 91:935-40
7. Adriana Cimo, M. Soltani, E. Lui and S. Hekmat 2013. Fortification of probiotic yogurt with ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) extract. J Food Nutr Disor, 2:2 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2324-9323.1000106
8. Edmund K Lui, Chike G. Azike, José A. Guerrero-Analco, Ahmad A. Romeh, Hua Pei, Sherif J. Kalda, John T. Arnason, Paul A. Charpentier “Bioactive Polysaccharides of American ginseng Panax quinquefolius L. in Modulation of Immune Function: Phytochemical and Pharmacological Characterization” in Polysaccharides. InTech Press, 2012. ISBN 978-953-51-0819-1.
9. immy Yuk, K. L. McIntyre, J. Hicks, C. Fischer, Kim Colson, Ed Lui, Dan Brown, John T. Arnason. Distinguishing Ontario ginseng landraces and ginseng species using NMR-based metabolomics. Anal Bioanal Chem (American Botanical Council) (Special issue). 2012. DOI 10.1007/s00216-012-6582-6
10. Melissa Moey, T Gan, Cathy Xiaoling Huang, V. Rajapurohitam, Eduardo Martínez-Abundis, E. M. K. Lui and Morris Karmazyn. 2012. Ginseng Reverses Established Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy and Post Myocardial Infarction-Induced Hypertrophy and Heart Failure. Circulation. 5: 504-514.
11. Sen, Subhrojit; Chen, S; Feng, B; Wu, Y; Lui, E; Chakrabarti, S. Preventive effects of North American ginseng on diabetic retinopathy and cardiomyopathy. Phytotheraphy Res. 2012. DOI: 10.1002/ptr.4719
12. S. A Wilson, M. Wong, C. Stryjecki, A. De Boer, E. Lui, and D. M Mutch 2012. Unraveling the adipocyte inflammomodulatory pathways activated by NA ginseng. Internat J of Obesity. doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.50
13. Sen, Subhrojit; Chen, Shali; Feng, Biao; Wu, Yuexiu; Lui, Edmund; Chakrabarti, Subrata 2012. Preventive effects of North American ginseng on diabetic neuropathy. Phytomedicine. 19: 494– 505
14. Chike G. Azike, Hou Jirui, Pei Hua, Paul A. Charpentier and Edmund M.K. Lui 2011. The yin/yang actions of NA Ginseng in modulating the immune function of macrophages. Chinese Medicine. 6: 21.
15. Wu Y, Lu X, Xiang FL, Lui, EMK, Feng Q. 2011. Ginseng protects the heart from ischemia and reperfusion injury via upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Pharma Res. 64:195-202.
16. Sen, Subhrojit; Chen, Shali; Feng, Biao; Wu, Yuexiu; Lui, Edmund; Chakrabarti, Subrata. 2011. Preventive effects of American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) on glucose-induced endothelial cell injury and associated oxidative stress. Phytomedicine. 18: 1110-1117.
17. Chao Sun, Y Li , Q Wu, H-M Luo, Y-Z Sun, Jing-Yuan Song, Edmund M.K. Lui and Shi-Lin Chen. 2010. Sequencing and de novo analysis of American ginseng root transcriptome using GS FLX Titanium platform to discover putative genes involved in ginsenoside biosynthesis. BMC Genomics. 11:.262.