Dr. Davinder S. Jassal
Cardiovascular Imaging, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba
Dr. Jassal’s research focuses on the complementary use of multimodality cardiovascular imaging in the non-invasive assessment of heart failure syndromes. Using a combination of echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart), cardiac CT (computed tomography), and CMR (cardiac MRI), the Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory at St. Boniface Albrechtsen Research Centre is dedicated to translational research focusing on three heart failure models:
1. FANTAM study (Flaxseed in the mitigation of anthracycline and trastuzumab mediated cardiotoxicity)
Cardio-Oncology is an evolving field that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and management of cancer patients who are at risk of developing cardiovascular problems as a result of their cancer treatment. Although the multifaceted treatment approach including radiotherapy, surgical resection, and chemotherapy can lead to remission in breast cancer patients, these methods can lead to harmful cardiotoxic side effects. The introduction of two chemotherapeutic agents, Doxorubicin and Trastuzumab, has led to an increase in overall survival in breast cancer patients in both the adjuvant and metastatic settings. Despite their beneficial effects in reducing tumour proliferation, these two anti-cancer drugs are associated with an increased risk of cardiotoxicity. Nearly 1 in 4 women will develop cardiac complications due to this anti-cancer treatment. Given the increasing rate of cardiac dysfunction associated with Doxorubicin and Trastuzumab, there is a need to further characterize this damage and mitigate its effects on cardiac health. Approximately 30% of breast cancer patients consume flaxseed in the management of their underlying disease. In addition to its ability to reduce the risk of tumour progression, this nutraceutical agent has potent cardiovascular properties. The FANTAM study is currently evaluating the cardioprotective effects of flaxseed and/or is bioactive components against Doxorubicin and Trastuzumab induced cardiotoxicity.
2. SPARC study (Scleraxis in the prognostication of sudden cardiac death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy)
Sudden cardiac death (SCD) affects over 40 000 Canadians per year. It is a disease with an array of etiologies, one of which is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). HCM affects approximately 0.2% of Canadians and is the leading cause of SCD in the general population. HCM is a genetic condition characterized by cardiac fibrosis, a disease state that leads to progressive deposition of collagen within the myocardium. Over time, cardiac fibrosis alters the stiffness and compliance of the heart, thereby impairing both systolic and diastolic function in HCM patients. Although CMR is the primary imaging modality of choice for detection of fibrosis in HCM, it is limited due to its high costs and low availability throughout Canada. A more cost-effective approach for early screening and risk stratification of HCM patients could involve the development of a serum biomarker for cardiac fibrosis. Scleraxis has been recently identified as a critical regulatory protein for the development of cardiac fibrosis. The underlying goal of the SPARC study is to characterize whether scleraxis, as a biomarker for cardiac fibrosis, is detectable and correlates with disease burden in patients with HCM.
3. RAS-ASICS study (Avastin and Sutent Induced Cardiotoxicity Study)
Colorectal and renal cell cancers are major public health concerns in Canada. An increased understanding of the pathophysiology of these two cancers has led to the development of targeted therapies, including Bevacizumab (BVZ) and Sunitinib (SNT). BVZ is a monoclonal antibody used in the treatment of colorectal cancer, while SNT is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor that suppresses renal cell cancer growth. Despite the effectiveness of these anti-cancer agents, their use is associated with an increased risk of developing cardiotoxicity. Although heart failure medications including renin-angiotensin system (RAS) antagonists are commonly used after cardiac dysfunction is detected in the cancer setting, little is known on their prophylactic role in the prevention of BVZ and SNT mediated cardiac dysfunction. The RAS ASICS study is currently evaluating the cardioprotective effects of RAS inhibitors (Aliskiren, Perindopril, and Valsartan) in the prevention of BVZ and SNT mediated cardiotoxicity.
About Dr. Davinder S. Jassal
Dr. Jassal was born in Thompson, Manitoba, Canada, obtained an International Baccalaureate Degree at Sisler High School in Winnipeg, and graduated from the University of Manitoba with an MD in 1998. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Manitoba from 1998-2001 and a residency in Adult Cardiology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Subsequently, he completed a clinical and research fellowship in Cardiac Imaging specializing in echocardiography, CT, and MRI at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.Dr. Jassal joined the Section of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Max Rady College of Medicine, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Manitoba in 2006 as an Academic Clinician Scientist, where half of his time is devoted to patient care in CCU and cardiac imaging and the other half devoted to translational research in the field of Cardio-Oncology. He is currently Full Professor of Medicine, Radiology, and Physiology and Pathophysiology. As Head of the Section of Cardiology, Dr. Jassal is also the Principal Investigator of the Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory as a member of the Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Davinder S. Jassal
Rm. 4010, St. Boniface Hospital Research, 351 Tache, R2H 2A6
Lab Phone. (204) 237-2599
Lab Office. (204) 235-3056
Hospital Office. (204) 237-2023
Fax. (204) 233-2157
Mr. David YC Cheung
Rm. 4010, St. Boniface Hospital Research, 351 Tache, R2H 2A6
Lab Phone. (204) 237-2599, (204) 235-3741
Fax. (204) 233-6723
1. Tangri N, Ferguson T, Whitlock R, Rigatto C, Jassal DS, Kass M, Toelva O, Komenda P. Long term health outcomes in patients with a history of mycocardial infarction: a population based cohort study. PLOS ONE. 2017. In press.
2. Lau L, Mozolevska V, Kirkpatrick IDC, Jassal DS, Kansara R, Diffuse large b-cell lymphoma mimicking cardiac amyloidosis. Clin Case Rep. 2017 Apr 17;5(6):1034-1035
3. Akolkar G, Bagchi A, Ayyappan P, Jassal DS, Singal PS. Doxorubicin induced nitrosative stress is mitigated by Vitamin C via the modulation of nitric oxide synthases. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017 Apr 1;312(4):C418-C427.
4. Pituskin E, Mackey JR, Koshman S, Jassal DS, Pitz M, Haykowsky MJ, Pagano JJ, Chow K, Thompson RB, Vos LJ, Ghosh S, Oudit GY, Ezekowitz JA, Paterson DI. Multidisciplinary Approach to Novel Therapies in Cardio-Oncology Research (MANTICORE 101-Breast): A Randomized Trial for the Prevention of Trastuzumab-Associated Cardiotoxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Mar 10;35(8):870-877.
1. Goyal V, Jassal DS, Dhalla NS. Pathophysiology and prevention of sudden cardiac death. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016 Mar;94(3):237-44.
2. Goyal V, Bews H, Cheung D, Premecz S, Mandal S, Shaikh B, Best R, Bhindi R, Chaudhary R, Ravandi A, Thliveris J, Singal PK, Niraula S, Jassal DS. The Cardioprotective Role of N-Acetyl Cysteine Amide in the Prevention of Doxorubicin and Trastuzumab-Mediated Cardiac Dysfunction. Can J Cardiol. 2016 Dec;32(12):1513-1519.
3. Le May M, van Diepen S, Liszkowski M, Schnell G, Tanguay JF, Granger CB, Ainsworth C, Diodati JG, Fam N, Haichin R, Jassal D, Overgaad C, Tymchak W, Tyrrell B, Osborne C, Wong G. From coronary care units to cardiac intensive care units: recommendations for organizational, staffing, and educational transformation. Can J Cardiol. 2016 Oct;32(10):1204-1213.
4. Virani SA, Dent S, Brezden-Masley C, Clarke B, Davis MK, Jassal DS, Johnson C, Lemieux J, Paterson I, Sebag IA, Simmons C, Sulpher J, Thain K, Thavendiranathan P, Wentzell JR, Wurtele N, Côté MA, Fine NM, Haddad H, Hayley BD, Hopkins S, Joy AA, Rayson D, Stadnick E, Straatman L. Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines for Evaluation and Management of Cardiovascular Complications of Cancer Therapy. Can J Cardiol. 2016 Jul;32(7):831-41.
5. Liu S, Moussa M, Wassef AW, Hiebert BM, Hussain F, Jassal DS. The utility of systolic and diastolic echocardiographic parameters for predicting coronary artery disease burden as defined by the SYNTAX score. Echocardiography. 2016 Jan;33(1):14-22.
6. Mozolevska V, Schwartz A, Cheung D, Shaikh B, Bhagirath KM, Jassal DS. Addison’s disease and dialated cardiomyopathy: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Cardiol. 2016;2016:4362514.
7. Allen D, Bews H, Vo M, Kass M, Jassal DS, Ravandi A. Ateria Lusoria: an anomalous finding during right transradial coronary intervention. Case Rep Cardiol. 2016;2016:8079856.
8. Chelvanathan A, Allen D, Bews H, Ducas J, Minhas K, Vo M, Kass M, Ravandi A, Tam J, Jassal DS, Hussain F. Renal insufficiency and early bystander CPR predict in-hospital outcomes in cardiac arrest patients undergoing mild therapeutic hypothermia and cardiac catheterization: return of spontaneous circulation, cooling, and catheterization registry (ROSCCC registry). Cardiol Res Pract. 2016;2016:879826.
9. Zeglinski M, Roche P, Hnatowich M, Jassal DS, Wigle J, Czubryt M, Dixon IM. TGFβ1 regulates scleraxis expression in primary cardiac myofibroblasts by a Smad-independent mechanism. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2016 Jan 15;310(2):H239-49.
1. Blackwood DP, Lavallee RK, Busaidi A, Jassal DS, Pierce GN. A randomized trial of the effects of Ezetimibe on the absorption of omega-3 fatty acids in cardiac disease patients: a pilot study. Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2015 Oct;10(5):e155-e159.
2. Holmes S, Kirkpatrick ID, Zelop CM, Jassal DS. MRI evaluation of maternal cardiac displacement in pregnancy: implications for cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Sep;213(3):401.e1-5.
3. Kinl ey DJ, Lowry H, Katz C, Jacobi F, Jassal DS, Sareen J. Depression and anxiety disorders and the link to physician diagnosed cardiac disease and metabolic risk factors. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2015 Jul-Aug;37(4):288-93.
4. Bordun KA, Premecz S, daSilva M, Mandal S, Goyal V, Glavinovic T, Cheung M, Cheung D, White CW, Chaudhary R, Freed DH, Villaraga HR, Herrmann J, Kohli M, Ravandi A, Thilveris J, Pitz M, Singal PK, Mulvagh SL, Jassal DS. The utility of cardiac biomarkers and echocardiography for the early detection of Bevacizumab and Sunitinib mediated cardiotoxicity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015 Aug 15;309(4):H692-701.
5. Reh L, Premecz S, Jassal DS, Zahradka P, Taylor C. Dietary analysis of full marathon runners over 50 years of age: a retrospective study. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2015 Jun;55(6):615-20.
6. McIntyre WF, Jassal DS, Morris AL. Pericardial effusions: do they all require pericardiocentesis? Can J Cardiol. 2015 Jun; 31(6); 812-5.
7. Friesen T, Jassal DS, Zhu M, Eng F, Rigatto C, Tangri N, Sood MM, Karlstedt E, Premecz S, Komenda P. Cardiovascular remodeling during long-term nocturnal home hemodialysis. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2015 Jun;19(3):514-20
8. Akolkar G, Bhullar N, Bews H, Shaikh B, Premecz S, Bordun KA, Cheung DY, Goyal V, Sharma AK, Garber P, Singal PK, Jassal DS. The role of renin angiotensin system antagonists in the prevention of doxorubicin and trastuzumab induced cardiotoxicity. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2015 Apr 3;13(1):18
9. Lau L, Ducas R, Rizkallah J, Jassal DS, Seifer CM. The utility of pocket-sized echocardiography to assess left ventricular systolic function prior to permanent pacemaker implantation. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2015 Mar 14;13:10
10. Goyal V, Bews H, Shaikh N, Hussain F, Jassal DS. Multimodality cardiac imaging of a left ventricular thrombus: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2015 Feb 28;8:59
11. Karlstedt E, Jassal DS, Kirkpatrick ID, Freed D, Seifer CM. Multimodality cardiac imaging of infective endocarditis. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2015 Jan;16 Suppl 2:S92-3.
12. Zeglinski MR, Hnatowich M, Jassal DS, Dixon IMC. SnoN as a Novel Negative Regulator of TGF-β/Smad Signaling: A Target for Tailoring Organ Fibrosis. AJP eart Circ Rev. 2015 Jan;308(2):H75-82.
1. Dhingra R, Margulets V, Chowdhury SR, Thliveris J, Jassal DS, Fernyhough P, Down GW 2nd, Kirshenbaum LA. Bnip 3 mediates doxorubicin-induced cardiac myocyte necrosis and mortality through changes in mitochondrial signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2014 Dec;111(51):E5537-44.
2. Glavinovic T, Cheung DY, Cordova Perez FJ, Soni A, Memauri B, Jassal DS. Right ventricular free wall dyskinesis in the setting of left ventricular non compaction: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2014 Nov 5;7:787
3. Golian M, Freed D, Jassal DS, Ravandi A. Successful cardiac resuscitation with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the setting of persistent ventricular fibrillation: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2014 Nov 4;7:782
4. Sharma AK, Ludke AR, Bagchi AK, Al-Shudiefat AA-R, Akolkar G, Jassal DS, Singal PK. Phosphorylation of AktSer473/Ask1Ser83 in Trolox-induced suppression of doxorubicin-induced changes in rat cardiomyocytes. Curr Res Cardiol. Vol. 1 No. 1 Autumn 2014.
5. Saeed MF, Premecz S, Goyal V, Singal PK, Jassal DS. Catching broken hearts: pre-clinical detection of doxorubicin and trastuzumab mediated cardiac dysfunction in the breast cancer setting. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2014 Jul;92(7):546-50.
6. Liu S, Horne D, Freed DH, Sookhoo S, Strzelcyzk J, Ravandi A, Jassal DS. Multimodality cardiac imaging of cardiac pheochromocytoma. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Jun 17;63(23):e189
7. Zeglinski M, Premecz S, Lerner J, Wtorek J, daSilva M, Hasanally D, Chaudhary R, Sharma A, Thliveris J, Ravandi A, Singal PK, Jassal DS. Congenital absence of nitric oxide synthase 3 potentiates cardiac dysfunction and reduces survival in Doxorubicin- and Trastuzumab-mediated cardiomyopathy. Can J Cardiol. 2014. Mar;30(3):359-67
8. Ducas RA, Elliott JE, Melnyk SF, Premecz S, daSilva M, Cleverley K, Wtorek P, Mackenzie GS, Helewa ME, Jassal DS. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in pregnancy: insights from the cardiac hemodynamic imaging and remodeling in pregnancy (CHIRP) study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2014 Jan 3;16:1
1. Cleverley K, Du X, Premecz S, Le K, Zeglinski M, Nicholson T, Goh CY, Lu Y, Anderson HD, Moghadasian MH, Jassal DS. The effects of fish oil consumption on cardiovascular remodeling in ApoE deficient mice. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013 Nov;91(11):960-5.
2. Elmayergi N, Nguyen T, Hiebert B, Philipp RK, Jassal DS, Tam JW, Hussain F. A “no-option” left main PCI registry: Outcomes and predictors of in hospital mortality-utility of the logistic EuroSCORE. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Sep 1;82(3):361-9
3. Cleverley K, Mousavi N, Stronger L, Ann-Bordun K, Hall L, Tam JW, Tischenko A, Jassal DS, Philipp RK. The impact of telemetry on survival of in-hospital cardiac arrests in non-critical care patients. Resuscitation. 2013 Jul;84(7):878-82.
4. Ducas R, Ariyarajah V, Phillipp R, Ducas J, Elliott J, Jassal DS, Tam JW, Garber P, Shaikh N, Hussain F. The presence of ST-elevation in lead aVR predicts signficiant left main coronary artery stenosis in cardiogenic shock resulting from myocardial infarction: the Manitoba cardiogenic shock registry. Int J Cardiol 2013 Jun 20;166(2):465-8.
5. Shen S, Rizkallah J, Kirkpatrick ID, Khadem A, Jassal DS. Cardiac lipofibromatosis. Can J Cardiol. 2013 Apr;29(4):519.e11-2
6. Ducas R, Tsang W, Chong AA, Jassal DS, Lang RM, Leong-Poi H, Chan KL. Echocardiography and vascular ultrasound: new developments and future directions. Can J Cardiol. 2013 Mar;29(3):304-16
7. Kumar K, Nepomuceno RG, Chelvanathan A, Golian M, Bohonis S, Cleverley K, Ravandi A, Mackenzie S, Jassal DS. The role of tissue Doppler imaging in predicting left ventricular filling pressures in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: an intraoperative study. Echocardiography. 2013 Mar;30(3):271-8.
8. Epp RA, Susser SE, Morissettee MP, Kehler DS, Jassal DS, Duhamel TA. Exercise training prevents the development of cardiac dysfunction in the low-dose streptozotocin diabetic rats fed a high-fat diet. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013 Jan;91(1):80-9.
1. Cenkowski M, DaSilva M, Bordun KA, Hussain F, Kirkpatrick ID, Jassal DS. Spontaneous dissection of the coronary and vertebral arteries post-partum: case report and review of the literature. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2012 Nov 2;12:122
2. Dhaliwal S, Ducas R, Shuangbo L, Horne D, Lee J, Hussain F, Kirkpatrick ID, Jassal DS. Multimodality cardiac imaging of a ventricular septal rupture post myocardial infarction: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2012 Oct 25;5:583
3. Altuwaijri WA, Kirkpatrick ID, Jassal DS, Soni A. Vanishing left ventricular thrombus in a woman with peripartum cardiomyopathy: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2012 Oct 2;5:544
4. Kha LC, Cassano-Bailey A, Clevelrey K, Sud M, Strzelczyk J, Jassal DS. Multimodality cardiac imaging of a double chambered right ventricle with intrapulmonary shunting: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2012 Sep 22;5:516.
5. Hussain F, Nguyen T, Elmayergi N, Ducas J, Minhas K, Vo M, Kass M, Ravandi A, Parmar G, Jassal DS, Tam JW, Freed D, Menkis AH, Philipp RK. The acutely occluded left main coronary artery culprit in cardiogenic shock and initial percutaneous coronary intervention: a substudy of the Manitoba “no option” left main PCI registry. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012 Sep;90(9):1325-31. Epub 2012 Aug 22.
6. Karlstedt E, Chelvanathan A, Da Silva M, Cleverley K, Kumar K, Bhullar N, Lytwyn M, Bohonis S, Oomah S, Nepomuceno R, Du X, Melnyk S, Zeglinski M, Ducas R, Sefidgar M, Mackenzie S, Sharma S, Kirkpatrick ID, Jassal DS. The impact of repeated marathon running on cardiovascular function in the aging population. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2012 Aug 20;14:58.
7. Ducas RA, Wassef AW, Jassal DS, Weldon E, Schmidt C, Grierson R, Tam JW. To transmit or not to transmit: how good are emergency medical personnel in detecting STEMI in patients with chest pain? Can J Cardiol 2012 Jul-Aug;28(4): 432-7.
8. Ducas RA, Philipp RK, Jassal DS, Wassef AW, Weldone E, Hussain F, Schmidt C, Khadem A, Ducas J, Grierson R, Tam JW. Cardiac Outcomes Through Digital Evaluation (CODE) STEMI project: prehospital digitally-assisted reperfusion strategies. Can J Cardiol. 2012 Jul-Aug; 28(4): 423-31.
9. Tsang JF, Lytwyn M, Farag A, Zeglinski M, Wallace K, daSilva M, Bohonis S, Walker JR, Tam JW, Strzelczyk J, Jassal DS. Multimodality imaging of aortic dimensions: comparison of transthoracic echocardiography with multidetector row computed tomography. Echocardiograpy. 2012 July;29(6):735-41.
10. Colish J, Walker JR, Elmayergi N, Almutairi S, Alharbi F, Lytwyn M, Francis A, Bohonis S, Zeglinski M, Kirkpatrick ID, Sharma S, Jassal DS. Obstructive sleep apnea: effects of continuous positive airway pressure on cardiac remodeling as assessed by cardaic biomarkers, echocardiography and cardiac MRI. Chest 2012 Mar; 141(3):674-681.
Doctors Manitoba Scholastic Award for scholarly activity in the health professionals
Morley Lertzman Teaching Award, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba
Research Manitoba Mid-Career Research Award
Manitoba Medical Student’s Association Med I Teaching Innovation Award
Manitoba Medical Students Association Teaching Award for Pre-Clership Inspiration
Manitoba Medical Students Association Teaching Award Nominee for Pre-Clerkship Innovation
Kern Wildenthal Clinical Investigation Award in Cardiovascular Sciences, International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences
Faculty of Medicine Teaching Award as voted by Medicine I, University of Manitoba
1. CancerCare Manitoba Operating Grant 2017-2019
Title: Flaxseed in the mitigation of anthracycline and trastuzumab mediated cardiotoxicity study (FANTAM) study
2. Diagnostic Services Manitoba Operating Grant 2017-2018
Title: Scleraxis as a biomarker for cardiac fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
3. CIHR Operating grant (Co-applicant) 2015-2020
Title: The role of FGF2 isoforms in cardiac remodeling
4. Research Manitoba Mid-Career Operating Grant 2015-2017
Title: The prophylactic role of renin-angiotensin system antagonists in the prevention of Avastin and Sutent mediated cardiotoxicity
5. CancerCare Manitoba Operating Grant 2015-2017
Title: The art of preventing broken hearts in colorectal and renal cell cancer
6. CancerCare Manitoba Operating Grant 2013-2015
Title: The impact of Doxorubicin and Trastuzumab on cardiac cytoarchitecture and function: insights into the prevention of chemotherapy mediated cardiotoxicity in breast cancer
7. CAN-USA Grant 2012-2014
Title: Early Detection of Broken Hearts in Cancer Patients: Bevacizumab, Sunitinib and Heart Failure
8. Bilinkoff Fund 2012-2013
Title: Advanced cardiovascular imaging laboratory
9. Diagnostic Services of Manitoba 2012-2013
Title: CHIRP (Cardiac hemodynamic imaging and remodeling in pregnancy)
10. Andison Family Foundation 2012-2013
Title: The acute cardiovascular effects of marathon running in the aging population
11. CIHR Operating Grant (co-applicant) 2011-2014
Title: Protective signaling by PPARS in cardiac hypertrophy
12. Canada Indirect Costs Program 2011-2013
Title: GE Small Animal Imaging Platform
13. Manitoba Medical Services Foundation (co-applicant) 2011-2012
Title: Development of novel MRI techniques to improve the diagnosis of congenital and valvular heart diseases
14. Canada Summer Jobs Funding 2011-2012
Title: Advanced small animal cardiovascular imaging laboratory