Application deadline: FRIDAY, APRIL 29TH, 2022
Background: The fund was established by the Division of Neurodegenerative Disorders, St. Boniface Hospital Research Centre, to honour Nick Shepel who was an outstanding researcher, friend and leader. Nick was a true inspiration to his laboratory partners and brought fire, humour, and a desire to always excel. His insistence to always try better has had a permanent effect on his lab mates and peers. Nick led by example and taught that detailed preparation and execution of experiments ensured reliable results.
Purpose: The purpose of this fund shall be to recognize a young investigator(s) (specifically in the neuroscience area) by providing an annual award(s) to support travel costs associated with the applicant’s attendance at an upcoming national/international conference where the applicant is presenting a poster or oral presentation. This year, awards are available with a value ranging from $750 to $1,000.
Eligibility: At the time of application the following conditions are required:
- Students must be registered as a full-time graduate student in the College of Medicine at the University of Manitoba.
- The area of research being presented at the conference must relate to the field of neuroscience.
- A student admitted under the “Provisional Status” may not receive the award during the provisional period.
- Amount of award(s) may vary each year.
- Students must be giving an “IN-PERSON” poster or oral presentation at an upcoming scientific meeting (national/international). Virtual attendance does not qualify for award.
- Students who have received this award previously should not apply.
Submission Instructions: A complete application consists of the following information
*If your application is not complete, it will not be considered:
- Introductory letter describing meeting, location and date
- Copy of abstract
- Curriculum vitae
- Current GPA, transcripts not needed
- Proposed budget of travel costs
- Submit your completed application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply for reimbursement: Reimbursement will be done in accordance with St. Boniface Hospital travel policies.
Request for reimbursement must be done within 2 weeks following travel otherwise eligibility may be voided.
For more information please contact Kelly Jorundson, email@example.com